What is Positive Parenting?
Our positive, strength-based approach to parenting focuses on what’s right with kids (and parents), and the small, everyday steps you can take to help kids be successful in the future. Positive parenting may sound like “a nice idea,” but it is also grounded in the scientific study of healthy development.
Research tells us that parents are most effective when they adopt the loving, firm authoritative style of parenting.2,3,4
Browse Our Most Popular Parenting Topics:
1. Peter L. Benson, All Kids Are Our Kids: What Communities Must Do to Raise Caring and Responsible Children and Adolescents (San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2006).
2. Diana Baumrind, “Current Patterns of Parental Authority,” Developmental Psychology Monographs 4 , nos. 1, 2 (1971): 1-103.
3. Diana Baumrind, “Parental Disciplinary Patterns and Social Competence in Children,” Youth and Society 9 (1978): 238-279.
4. EE Maccoby and JA Martin, “Socialization in the Context of the Family: Parent–Child Interaction,” in Handbook of Child Psychology, Volume IV: Socialization, Personality, and Social Development, 4th ed., eds. P Mussen and EM Hetherington (New York: Wiley, 1983), 1-101.
5. Peter Scales and Nancy Leffert, Developmental Assets: A Synthesis of the Scientific Research on Adolescent Development (Minneapolis: Search Institute, 1999), 24-26, 77-78.
6. Eugene C. Roehlkepartain, Peter C. Scales, Jolene L. Roehlkepartain, and Stacey P. Rude, Building Strong Families (Minneapolis: Search Institute and Chicago: YMCA of the USA, 2002).
7. Rebecca N. Saito, Theresa K. Sullivan, and Nicole R. Hintz, The Possible Dream: What Families in Distressed Communities Need to Help Youth Thrive (Minneapolis: Search Institute, 2000).
Free Webinar: Join Us!
Enriching Families’ Community Connections: A Two-Way Street, presented by Dr. Eugene C. Roehlkepartain, Vice President, Research and Development at Search Institute and Dr. Hedy Walls, Vice President of Social Responsibility at YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities
Tuesday, July 8, 2014, 12PM - 1PM, CDT