Online Safety: An Introduction
They connect to it. They download from it. They watch on it. They listen to it. They play on it. They surf on it. They converse with it. Do you know how to monitor it? It can be hard to keep up when today’s inventions are tomorrow’s antiques, but we want our kids to be safe online, and with the amount of time kids spend online, it’s crucial that you do what you can to keep them safe.
Did You Know?
- Kids who are educated in the importance of online safety are more likely to take steps to keep themselves safe online than kids who aren’t educated.1
- One out of five teenagers use their cell phones to go online.2Of those who do, one out of five say their parents don’t know that they do this.3
- One half of all teenagers post their real age on social networking sites.4 Two out of five post the name of the city where they live.5
- While 25 percent of 13- to 15-year-olds think it’s unsafe to post personal stuff online, only 14 percent of 16- to 18-year-olds feel the same way.7
- Two out of five teenagers are exposed to pornography online.8
- Two out of three teenagers say that cyberbullying is a serious problem.10 One out of three say that online bullying is worse than being bullied in person.11
1. Dian Schaffhauser, “Teens’ Online Safety Improved by Education, Research Shows,” The Journal (2008), http://thejournal.com/articles/2008/11/25/teens-online-safety-improved-b….
2. Kim Thomas, “Teen Online & Wireless Safety Survey: Cyberbullying, Sexting, and Parental Controls,” Cox Communications (2009), http://www.cox.com/takecharge/safe_teens_2009/media/2009_teen_survey_int…
4. Ibid., 18.
6. Ibid., 19.
8. Andrew Schrock and Danah Boyd, Enhancing Child Safety & Online Technologies: Final Report of the Internet Safety Technical Task Force, The Berman Center for Internet & Society (2008), 29, http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/sites/cyber.law.harvard.edu/files/ISTTF_Fin….
10. Thomas, 27.
Free Webinar: Join Us!
Enriching Families’ Community Connections: A Two-Way Street, presented by Dr. Eugene C. Roehlkepartain, Vice President, Research and Development at Search Institute and Dr. Hedy Walls, Vice President of Social Responsibility at YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities
Tuesday, July 8, 2014, 12PM - 1PM, CDT
Related Blog Posts