Mobile Technology: An Introduction
Understanding the BasicsClick on the links in the left menu to learn more about different types of mobile technology, and get started on the path to making sure that your child is using mobile technology for positive purposes, and not using it to get in trouble.
Did You Know?
- 75% of teenagers and 58% of 12-year-olds have a cell phone.1
- Teenage girls are twice as likely as teenage guys to research sensitive health situations on the internet,2 and mobile technology gives them even more privacy to do so.
- Teenagers are more likely to ask for a laptop computer than other types of computers because of a laptop’s mobility. Two out of three young adults (ages 18 to 29) own a laptop or netbook. 3
- Kids see a cell phone as a lifeline. The average teenager sends more than 2,000 text messages each month through a cell phone.4
- Two out of three teenage cell phone users take photos with the camera built into their cell phone.5 One out of two likes to play the pre-installed games that come with their phone.6
1. Amanda Lenhart and others, Social Media & Mobile Internet Use among Teens and Young Adults (Washington, D.C.: Pew Research Center, 2010), 4.
4. Pete Blackshaw, “A Pocket Guide to Social Media and Kids,” http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/consumer/a-pocket-guide-to-social-media-and-kids
Free Webinar: Join Us!
Enriching Families’ Community Connections: A Two-Way Street, presented by Dr. Eugene C. Roehlkepartain, Vice President, Research and Development at Search Institute and Dr. Hedy Walls, Vice President of Social Responsibility at YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities
Tuesday, July 8, 2014, 12PM - 1PM, CDT
Related Blog Posts
• What to Do When Your Child Wants a New Electronic Gadget
• Keeping Tabs on Technology
• Kids and Media: Nurturing Savvy Communication Consumers
• Helping Your Child Make Sense of Advertising
Tips From the Expert
Dr. David Walsh, a nationally recognized authority on media provides parenting advice for navigating mobile technology.
Navigating Mobile Technology: Part One
Navigating Mobile Technology: Part Two