Single-Parent Led Families
Did You Know?
- Research shows that successful single-parent families have the following characteristics1:
• Parents encourage open communication and expression of feelings
• Discipline is consistent and democratic
• Parents recognize the need to care for themselves
- About half of all American children can expect to live with both of their biological parents at age fifteen. 2
Consider the tips below to help you raise successful kids as a single parent.
Learn more about why all parents need parenting mentors >
Learn how to create a caring team of adults to help your child grow up well >
1. Bailey, S. J. (2001). Building strong single-parent families. Bozeman, MT: Montana State University Extension Service. Retrieved from
2. Ellwood, D. T., & Jencks, C. (2004). The spread of single-parent families in the United States since 1960. KSG Working Paper No. RWP04-008.Retrieved from http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=517662
3. Ricciuti, H. N. (2004).Single parenthood, achievement, and problem behavior in White, Black, and Hispanic children. Journal of Educational Research, 97 (4), 196-206.
Related Blog Posts
What the Research Says:
• Researchers have found that when mothers in single parent families have positive expectations and attitudes about their children’s schooling and psychological development they help their children thrive. 3
• Having a good support system is a key to successful single-parenthood. 3