Did You Know?
- The 2000 U.S. census estimated that 163,879 households with children were headed by same-sex couples. This number is likely to be much higher today. 1
- Like families headed by heterosexual parents, gay and lesbian families are a diverse group. Unlike heterosexual parents, however, gay and lesbian parents and their children are often subject to prejudice, which can result in negative outcomes through no fault of their own. 2
Consider the tips below to help you raise successful kids.
1. Dingfelder, S. F. “The kids are all right: Research shows that families headed by gay and lesbian parents are as healthy as traditional families, but misperceptions linger”. Monitor on Psychology (APA), 36 (11), 66, (2005). Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec05/kids.aspx.
2. Patterson, C. J. Lesbian and gay parenting: Lesbian and gay parents and their children: Summary of research findings. Washington, D. C., American Psychological Association, (2012). Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/parenting.aspx.
Related Blog Posts
What the Research Says:
• Research shows that the children with gay or lesbian parents do as well as children with heterosexual parents. Having a gay or lesbian parent doesn't affect a child's social adjustment, school success or sexual orientation.1
• Researchers have found that it is beneficial for LGBT parents to connect with informal support networks to share information and skills for raising children in a homophobic world. 1